Tuesday, April 11, 2017

"the strawberry girl"

Siouxsie and the Banshees, "Christine"

Midterms are next week.  Semesters don't even pretend to move along at a reasonable pace any more.

I finally finished Trouble Boys, and I can't recommend it enough if you have any interest in American rock music.  If anything, the tragedy of Bob Stinson is even worse than you could imagine -- he had a son, Joey, who was born with some terrible medical issues.  He died at 21.  And Steve Foley, the Mats drummer on their final tour, OD'd in 2008.  As much joy as their music has brought me since high school, there's definitely a dark side to almost every tune Paul Westerberg has ever penned.

Oh, and Axl Rose saw The Replacements exactly once back in the day and thought they sucked.  But somehow that translated into Tommy Stinson joining the new version of Guns N' Roses.  Go figure.

I just started China Mieville's latest, The Last Days of New Paris.  It's surprisingly short, and so far pretty much what I expected -- weird fiction meets the surrealists and the Nazis.

This is a timely work of fiction, to say the least.

Meanwhile, in addition to teaching, my boss handed me a science article on x-ray technology by a colleague of his and asked me to edit it.  The problem is, it's literally unreadable word salad.  A lot of the editing I do here at my college is actually re-writing, from the ground up.

I'll get a free lunch or dinner out of it though.  That's how Korea works, and that's fine by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment